I wanted to use Arobas Music’s
Guitar Pro 6 on Debian Jessie 64-bit as they also provide a Linux version. However it can be rather difficult to install the software under certain circumstances for a number of reasons, so I decided to share my approach of the problem.
Download Guitar Pro files
Download Version 6 32-bit for Linux and standard sound banks. In my case I got two files:
Prepare your system
- Since the software just comes 32-bit-only you have to enable multi-arch on your system:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
- Unfortunately Guitar Pro depends on two libraries which are not available for Debian Jessie, but are for Debian Wheezy (libportaudio0) and Debian Squeeze-LTS (libssl0.9.8). So you have to add those lines to the end of your
# necessary for guitar pro 6 dependency libssl0.9.8 deb [arch=i386] http://ftp.debian.org/debian squeeze-lts main # necessary for guitar pro 6 dependency libportaudio0 deb [arch=i386] http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main
(You should able to build those libraries for your current system but this is beyond the scope of this tutorial)
- Install the necessary dependencies (32-bit versions):
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install libasound2:i386 libc6:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libportaudio0:i386 libportaudio2:i386 libssl0.9.8:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libxml2:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libpulse0:i386 libxrender1:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libpng12-0:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386
Remove unnecessary dependencies
The software also depends on
gksu which I didn’t manage to install, so I removed the dependency from the package because it also works without it.
- Extract data and control information:
dpkg-deb -x gp6-full-linux-r11621.deb gp6-full-linux-r11621 dpkg-deb --control gp6-full-linux-r11621.deb gp6-full-linux-r11621/DEBIAN
- Remove gksu dependency: Open the control file in an editor …
and change the line
Depends: gksu, libasound2, ...
Depends: libasound2, ...
- Repack and clean up:
dpkg -b gp6-full-linux-r11621 gp6-full-linux-r11621-modified.deb rm gp6-full-linux-r11621.deb gp6-full-linux-r11621/ -rf
Install the software
- First Guitar Pro 6:
sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture gp6-full-linux-r11621-modified.deb
- Then the standard sound banks:
/opt/GuitarPro6/GPBankInstaller Banks-r370.gpbank /opt/GuitarPro6
- You should be able to run Guitar Pro 6 now. After first start you’ll probably see the activation-dialogue, where you have to enter your licensing information.
Let me know if this tutorial was able to help you or if you experienced difficulties on the way. Also if you can provide some insight why I could not install gksu in 32-bit version, feel free to leave a comment…